Online Science Education
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pharmaceutical discovery techniques

2 posters

Go down

pharmaceutical discovery techniques Empty pharmaceutical discovery techniques

Post by scott Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:03 pm

I'm not sure if i have posted this in the right section but here goes...

I'm doing a project on rhodopsin which in part requires me to explain how the structural and functional aspects can be used for developing or discovering new pharmaceutical products.
i have found loads of stuff on structure based approaches such as homology modeling and ligand based approaches but i can never find any information on how the function of this GPCR could be used to identify new drugs for other GPCRs. To be honest i dont see how it could be, i understand how similarities between the structure of related proteins can be used to create computer models to test and identify new drugs on but the function is very specific, i.e. it transduces light into a signal - how could that possibly help with other GPCRs. the only thing i can think of is the perhaps the mechanism behind the function, i.e how it becomes activated and using this knowlege to see if a drug has activated (or deactivated) the protein in high throughput screening. Do you think that is along the lines of a function based approach? on the net there doesnt seem to be such a thing as function based drug discovery though.

would appreciated any insights,
thanks

scott
Student
Student

Back to top Go down

pharmaceutical discovery techniques Empty Re: pharmaceutical discovery techniques

Post by Alla Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:24 am

I think you are on the right track. First, you look at the protein structure and see which parts are responsible for its function and in what conditions trying to deduce the function of other receptors that are similar in structure. You also would want to find out what that receptor does in response to ligand A and see if similar ligand B can induce the same effect...

Alla
Instructor
Instructor

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum