Online Science Education
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few questions related to RNA

2 posters

Go down

A few questions related to RNA Empty A few questions related to RNA

Post by georgina_009 Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:47 am

what the effect on the size of the protein translated from mRNA would be if the shine dalgarno sequence was replaced with CTTTCCCTT. Would it be decreased or no protein produced?

How do I find the promoter sequence in an e.coli strand on DNA? I found an area of TTGACA but it is nucleotides 86-91 and the start codon starts at nucleotide 226. Then what i think is the pribnow box is CATAAT which is nucleotides 198-203. So i guess what I really what to know is: is the TTGACA got anything to do with it so that if it were removed would it impact on transcription and translation

georgina_009
Student
Student

Back to top Go down

A few questions related to RNA Empty Re: A few questions related to RNA

Post by Alla Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:54 am

To answer your 1st question:

If the Shine-Dalgarno sequence was present, then its absence will reduce translation efficiency and thus the amount of protein produced, but not all mRNAs have that sequence to begin with, so a lot depends on the original sequence.

In order to answer your 2nd question correctly, I would need to see the complete sequence that you are talking about.

Alla
Instructor
Instructor

Back to top Go down