Online Science Education
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Antibiotics too dangerous to be used?

2 posters

Go down

Are Antibiotics too dangerous to be used? Empty Are Antibiotics too dangerous to be used?

Post by icedoxx Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:51 am

Hi, Im doing an essay on Antibiotics. The essay question is 'Are Antibiotics too dangerous to be used?'

There are 3 sections to the essay:

Biological Relevance

Impact of the issue

Management

Ive started my essay and have talked about the types of antibiotics:

1. Bactericidals
I have said how they work. They inhibit peptidoglycan synthesis and some inhibit protien synethsis. i have written about how they do this ect.
2. Bacteriostatics
I am stuck on how Bacteriostatic Agents work. Could you please help me.

I dont know what points i should make about the impact of the issue. The topic doesnt really seem like an issue. The only dangers of antibiotics i have identified so far are 1. allergic reactions, 2. Destruction of Beneficial Bowel Flora 3. Development of Resistant strains of bacteria.

could you please suggest any good yet common books or texts, articles anything for me to use to research? And help me identify the dangers of Antibiotics?

Thanks! sunny

icedoxx
Student
Student

Back to top Go down

Are Antibiotics too dangerous to be used? Empty Re: Are Antibiotics too dangerous to be used?

Post by icedoxx Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:02 am

one more thing!
http://www.utmb.edu/otoref/Grnds/Antibiotics-update-2005/Antibiotics-2005_0412.htm
I read on this site that Aminoglycosides inhibit cell respiration. How do they do this?

icedoxx
Student
Student

Back to top Go down

Are Antibiotics too dangerous to be used? Empty Re: Are Antibiotics too dangerous to be used?

Post by Alla Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:27 am

icedoxx wrote:

is this how all bacteriostatic agents work? or just tetracycline?

Let's start with bacteriostatics. Not all bacteriostatics work the same. Tetracycline is just one example. Tetracycline can affect eukaryotic cells as well by inhibiting cell respiration (along with Aminoglycosides). Mitochondria has prokaryotic origins and has 30S ribosome like bacteria and that results in toxicity to human cells. Bactericidal mode of action of Aminoglycosides is not fully understood.

However, you already mentioned the major danger of using antibiotics too often "Development of Resistant strains of bacteria". To discuss this properly, you would need to look up the lateral gene transfer via plasmid. That is where one bacterium can copy its plasmid that contains resistant gene and pass it on to the other bacteria.

I am not sure what your level of study is, so I would suggest first to go to electronic article section of your school's website and searching through the Journal of Clinical Microbiology.

I would also suggest that you post your draft under assay review section. That is the easiest way to see if you are on the right track.

Good luck!

Alla
Instructor
Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post by icedoxx Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:07 pm

I will post as much as i have done so far in the drafts section.

if the draft appears on this website will it compromise the authenticity of my work? (will my teacher think its plagiarized because it has appeared on this website?)

I havent yet started to talk about bacterostatics in my essay yet mainly because i was lost. I will write up that section tonight and repost it as a draft for tomorrow.

Cheers,

P.S thankyou very much for the help.

icedoxx
Student
Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Alla Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:25 am

I don’t think so, as long as you post it with your real name (which you already did), but you could double check with your teacher…

Alla
Instructor
Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post by icedoxx Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:05 pm

inhibiting cell respiration (along with Aminoglycosides). Mitochondria has prokaryotic origins and has 30S ribosome like bacteria and

Bacteria dont have mitochondria as they are prokaryotic..? so how does tetracycline inhibit cell respiration in aerobic bacteria?

cheers,

icedoxx
Student
Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Alla Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:08 pm

No, it's their side effect in humans.

Alla
Instructor
Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down